Friday, November 11, 2011

Halloween


I am SO behind!

So N had a hard time deciding what to be for Halloween. This is the first year that she totally "got" Halloween and she started looking forward to it early. She started with dinosaur, then wanted to be Buddy from Dinosaur Train (a little orange T-Rex), then tiny from Dinosaur Train (a little green pteranadon), then she went off dinosaurs completely and wanted to be Wonder Red from Super Why (litte red riding hood's roller-skating super hero alter-ego). She stayed on Wonder Red for almost two weeks and I thought that was going to be it. Then she jumped to Wonder Red's friend Super Why, a little boy named Wyatt who lives in Storybook Land whose super-hero alter-ego has the power to read and find the answers to problems by looking in books. His older brother is Jack of Jack and the Beanstalk fame.

Then she decided for a while to be Belle from Beauty and the Beast, and we got really close to the big day, so I thought that was what we going to land with and started looking for costumes. But when it came down to it at the Halloween store, once she saw the Super Why costume, it was a done deal and she was Super Why all the way.

If you don't have a child under the age of five, you probably don't know who Super Why is, but all the kids are well-acquainted!



I put the costume away and didn't let her wear it until the MOMS Club Halloween party on the 26th. The mask that came with her costume was total crap. Cheap, flat foam with the eyeholes too far apart. It was huge and covered her whole face and the strap that held it on was attached with velcro on both sides and wouldn't stay on. So I ordered the pretend-play kit from Amazon that came with a much better mask, another cape, and a Why Writer, Super Why's tool for highlighting words that he is reading. Hers is battery-operated and says things from the show.

Ready to go to the party.
Mom is just hoping the costume survives the playground.
And yes, she had to have short hair like Wyatt, so I pinned and pinned to get her long curls to stay in place.


The big day of days dawned. She had been practicing her trick or treating skills for weeks with her pumpkin and some blocks that she would give me to use for candy. In fact, they weren't "blocks" for the month of October. They were "candy". My dad was having a procedure done at a local hospital and I wanted to stop by and visit while he was in recovery, so I had told N that she would go to play care for the morning and since it was costume day there, I let her put on her costume first thing. Then they didn't do the full procedure on my dad and were sending him home early, but since I had already promised play care, I went ahead and took N for a little while.

So she wore her costume all day, which is as it should be, really. She wore it to the grocery store and while helping me carve jack-o-lanterns. She wasn't too into the whole messy part of it at all, but I did get a few photos before she decided she would rather watch.

Then it was time to go trick-or-treat. She was totally into it. We went with her to hte door the first few times, but then she was into doing it herself.
Such a fun night! she didn't want to come home, but got so tired (we only did a little less than three blocks around our house) that towards the end, we carried her inbetween houses. By the time we got back to our house to hand out candy, it was mostly all over.
I don't think I will even buy candy to hand out next year. One of us could stay home and hand out the goods, but neither of us wants to miss seeing her at this age. :-)

She made a pretty good haul that we are still working through. She doesn't like any of the sour candies, so...ummmm...Mommy takes care of those.
I don't know how she is going to feel when it is all done because picking out a piece of candy is one of her favorite things to do.

1 comment:

Anna said...

CUTE! I am hoping Grace will "get it " next year. Thankfully she could care less and was able to wear last years costume again. Less stress for me. N is SOOOO adorable!