Thursday, April 23, 2009

Awake

So last night we went to bed at around 11:30 and while C slept soundly, I just laid there, wide awake. But exhausted. But awake. My brain would not turn off and I kept thinking about the scrapbooking swap I was about halfway finished with, so I got up at around 1am and worked on it until around 3. Then I logged on the PC and caught up on blog reading and the news and took some inane facebook quizzes. I went to bed at around 5:30ish.

My alarm was set for 8:30, so I was still in snooze mode when the doorbell rang just before 9. C had called an A/C company to stop by. We had discussed this possibility last night when we figured out that the A/C was not doing its job, and I had told him that if he was going to have someone come by, it couldn't be in the afternoon and I couldn't guarantee when I would be around because I needed to paperchase. But C was not aware that I had been up all night. So I answered the door in my robe and glasses and threw on clothes while the guy was in our attic, checking out our system. I'm sure he thought I was a space cadet because I was barely functional the whole time he was here, but at least I didn't have to deal with him much. I called C and he was home in time to have "the talk" with the guy and then a sales guy came out and we have had other quotes recently, but now our motor is broken or something. We've had a freon leak for a while, but for various reasons we have not been keen on committing to this house on the level of a whole new unit, so we have been putting off this A/C problem. Only now we can no longer put it off because broke is broke and life without A/C this time of year is not a life worth living.

We do have ceiling fans in nearly every room, and have been keeping the blinds closed. We'll survive a few days. At least it isn't July.

After some phone calls today I was able to go get the medicals and the homestudy letter that complete the package of papers that I need to hand carry down to Austin tomorrow to be apostilled. See this post for how tomorrow will go, minus the yarn and cupcakes because Fiber Fest is this weekend and I would rather spend my yarn dollars there.

I really should work tonight on the handouts for the class I am teaching Saturday. There isn't much to do, but it still needs to be done. I did get a 1.5 hour nap this afternoon that has left me functional, if a little groggy. I don't normally nap much because of the grog factor, but I was in desperation mode by 3pm. When I had to drive across Dallas to Greenville Avenue to get the homestudy letter, I was beginning to reach the end of my sleep deprived rope, which is not a good thing when driving across 635, but we all lived. I wasn't falling asleep at the wheel, I was just....well, thinking straight wasn't entirely within reach. But I made it home right before rush hour started kicking in, turned off my phone, set my alarm, and sacked out for a while listening to the birds in the back yard.

C has tickets for the Mavs playoff game tonight against the Spurs and I told him earlier this week to find a friend because I have too much to do, but he broke me down today telling me where they are. We never get seats this good. Very near the Mavs bench toward center court. Ridiculously good seats. So I have decided to go and try to relax even though the whole time I will have my class handouts hanging over my head and I have to get up insanely early tomorrow.

I think I will have time to work on the handouts after I get back from Austin tomorrow. If I don't screw around and don't have to wait long at the State Department, I can be back here by around 1pm. I'm going to the Fiber Fest fashion show with the Rockstars tomorrow night, which I am very much looking forward to. And then maybe some dinner and drinks afterwards. Much needed circle-of-fun stuff. I'll be able to knit during the fashion show and that will be nice because I have not touched my needles since Tuesday night. Yes, I know it's only Thursday. It's just that I usually knit for at least a few minutes each day. It keeps me focused and sane. Knitting is like a Valium as far as I am concerned. Knitting keeps the crazy away.

No comments: